Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970 when people across the globe noticed the devastating effect of increasing population and man-made development on Mother Nature. It is an opportunity for people to raise awareness about environment and give back to the community. Electric cars and rooftop solar panels offer a temporary solution to the current situation but they are out of reach for many people as the affordability and technology are available to some.
If you dream of a greener and safer planet for yourself and your children, you can make it possible by adding these small alterations to your daily routine.
The alarming levels of pollution all over the planet have led to growing awareness about the importance of a healthy and clean environment. Each one of us can make a small contribution to save the Earth. Pollution in the air can cause various medical troubles to you and your loved ones. Take small steps every day and make an impact on the environment. This Earth Day, promise yourself that you will do everything in your ability to save the planet earth.
With these tips, you can help save environment and save money at the same time.
This Earth Day, we hope you take small steps and help conserve the world around you. Mindful acts of awareness can bring about a significant and positive change in the environment which is much needed at this point of time.
- Step out: There was a life without technology and smartphones and you can recreate the same. The first step you need to take is to get off your smartphone and reframe your routine. It is always healthy for you to get off technology for a little while and spend some time outdoors with family and loved ones in the arms of nature. By taking time out for family or friends, you can not only connect with them on a more emotional level but also give your mind rest and take away any kind of stress. Go for a camp in the mountains where there is no technology and all you have to do is sit by the fire and have conversations with family and friends. There will be no Wi-Fi or any other type of technology to disturb you.
- Share your Ride: With the increasing levels in pollution, people are resorting to eco-friendly ways of commuting. Yes, carpooling and bike sharing are not 100% eco-friendly but they do help in reducing the amount of pollution caused. If your workplace is less than 20 minutes from your home, then you can choose to walk the distance down. Also, if you do not have the option of a car pool or bike share, you can opt to travel to work using a public transport vehicle such as buses and trains or carpool in a cab via an online transportation network company.
- Stop drinking bottled water: Save money by carrying your own water bottle. Plastic bottles that you purchase are not good for health and hence need to be disposed once they are used. On the other hand, carrying a water bottle which is made from good quality plastic is healthy for you as well as saves your money. By doing so, you will not only help reduce disposal of plastic from your side but also can refill water anywhere you go. Also, while filling water from elsewhere, make sure that you do the same from a proper water purifier or at least have that technology in-built in your water bottle. This will help reduce the chances of you falling sick.
- Plant: Gardening is good for your soul, health and for the planet. If you plant a tree, you are not only doing something productive but also doing something for the Earth. A tree you plant today will help you in the future. Gardening could be an enjoyable experience with your children and is a great way to give back to your local community. It is one of the easiest ways to save environment. Many corporates have a CSR initiative where they plant trees on every employee’s birthday.
- Carry bags to grocery store: Next time when you are at the grocery and the clerk asks you whether you would like a paper bag or a plastic bag, choose neither. Carry your reusable grocery bag and carry it with you for easy access. The result will not only save money for you, but also save trees in the case of paper bags and avoid pollution in the case of plastics.
- Substitute the light bulbs: If you have old light bulbs inside your house, you are wasting energy. They produce more heat rather than light. Instead switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs or LEDs that are highly efficient and can reduce the annual light bill in your home. The bulbs last longer and will save on your energy bills.
- Recycle your electronics: How often do you get rid of your smartphones and laptops? By doing this, you are hurting the planet and missing out on some cash. You can recycle majority of your electronic devices and help save the environment. In addition, you can also benefit from the amount that different companies pay for the recycling of your electronics. Major retailers across the country also offer buyback programs where you can exchange your electronics for a new one and avail a discount on the same.
A clean environment can give a better life when you are retiring and it can help your children as well. As your children grow up, they will be able to enjoy the fresh air and clean environment across the country. If you start with these small but sensible acts from today, you will be making a huge difference to save environment.
If you start now, you can enjoy a better life and clean environment when you retire. You will also preserve the planet for your children and grandchildren to enjoy. Similarly, your children will be able to grow up in a safer and cleaner environment without the fear of disease and health problems.
Try educating your community about these small acts which can make a huge difference in no time. Saving the Earth is a cause that everyone should take part in. Hence, it is your duty to ensure that they do. Teach your children the benefits of saving the Earth. Most of all step out and plant a tree to save the planet on this Earth Day. You are sure to reap its benefits for many years to come.
Advt. no.: IA/MAY 2018/3979